Plaza Nueva Square is located in the heart of Bilbao’s Old Part. It was built in the 19th century as a consequence of the spirit of the Enlightenment prevailing in that period in Bilbao. Built in Neoclassical style, it has the shape of a rectangle with 18 arches in two of its sides and 15 in the other two. Round arches leaning on square pillars and attached Dorian columns.
With a surface area of 3,400 metres, the square was inaugurated in 1851. Responsible for its layout were three architects: Silvestre Pérez, Antonio Echevarría and Avelino Goikoetxea.
The material used in the building was golden masonry sandstorm. The square has five accesses, four of them belonging to the original project; the fifth was made subsequently and nowadays is the main entrance. A functional language, almost without decorative references, prevails in the building of the houses surrounding the square.
Nowadays four arboreal massifs decorate the square’s corners. The square’s character is unquestionable and invites to a relaxing moment, even in the many cafeterias located in the arcades.